20100318

I have super strong beliefs about beliefs.


Belief, for me, is like a theory or assumption of what one "thinks" or "feels" the truth is. It's an emotional or logical response to data or opinions handed to us.

Truth is something one knows. Example 2+2=4.

sure, 2+2=4... but doesn't 2+1+1=4? how about 6-2?

I feel like often times, humans are given only part of the math problem causing the need for belief: 2+2+blank+blank-blank=500.

You can fill in the blanks, with multiple answers (beliefs)...would any ONE of those be the only truth though?

Limiting truth to only one possibility seems kind of weird to me when everyone has different perceptions. Everyone's truth is derived from different #'s. We all have different personalities, cultural upbringings, genetic makeup that draws us to different beliefs.

Will we ever know the total truth about an apple? about dogs? about a God? about ourselves? Does that lack of knowing matter? Does our belief, based on that lack of knowing matter? What if the only thing that Does matter is that the apple is red or green. Dogs Bark and chase cars. God wants people to love.

I like to say that total truth is irrelevant when it comes to belief. Otherwise it wouldn't be belief... it would be knowledge! You don't need to know every number that solves the equation. That's just a bunch of data. I'm more interested in leaving the possibility that others have numbers that could work in the equation that i don't even know much about. I enjoy humbling myself to the point that i say "i know very little to nothing." I hold one puzzle piece to a grand mural of a puzzle. Or maybe my piece doesn't even belong to the right puzzle? who can prove me truthfully wrong and who can prove me truthfully right? no one.

There is no set standard of truth with anything.
there is no 2+2=4 spelled out anywhere.

The majority of our being/ our purpose / who we are comes from what we believe. What we believe is not spelled out. There are so many possibilities for belief!

aside to Katlyn (the sky is based on visual perception-some animals see different colors than others, some don't even see the spectrum. Some people are blind. Some people are color blind. Some people's visual neurons are hooked in with their hearing senses. Some people "hear things" or "feel things" when they see color. To them, the sky is more of a sound or emotion. With different perception comes different belief.)

Many people say their beliefs are true. I like leaving the option that my beliefs are completely wrong because with so many varying perceptions, any belief can seem reasonable based on perception.

So I feel like i know nothing/ believe in a lot. I don't know whole truths. I don't even know if i know part of truths. I do believe though. And I believe, it's okay to believe without knowing the truth. Otherwise you would call it knowledge...

Can someone's belief matter if it is false? I say, you can't have a true or false belief. You can have true or false knowledge, but not belief. Belief is a mere stab at the truth based on perception, regardless of how strong or how weak.

-ph

No comments:

Post a Comment