20090405

A Status of Sadness

your status says your sad, and inspired me to recount this tale.

*3:45 Inside Stephen's room*
I was trying out Little Caesars new Zesty Jalapeno Cheese-bread for lunch and on such a special occasion, blared salsa music from a giant 5 disc cd player i somehow managed to receive for free.

During my mini siesta while trying to change the song, I accidentally hit the button that changed the boombox from aux mode (my i-pod) to radio mode. and the station that came on when the radio turned on was playing a christmas carol. Christmas in the middle of August. Nonsense. Anywho, by the time this holiday cheer was finished i realized, uh oh. I'm about to be late for work again, what a surprise.... So i rapidly threw my micky d's uniform on (tie with velcro attachment included), put a smile on my face, and rode in a rush to work.

At work, news presents itself that someone had called off for the night. So it was just meeee and the manager closing. awesome! Not that i didn't like her as a manager. She was kinda funny, a little crazy, talked a lot, but was creative. She also is about 5 foot 2 and weighs about 226 pounds. Whatever i don't mind that. The problem was, that Mcdonalds is busy as f**K, and for 2 people to work alone is crazy i tell you. Just plain out mad.

Throughout the night the problem kept presenting itself. I was always cashier/ fry maker/bagging the orders, and she was making all the sandwiches/nuggets. My job was about 10 times easier than hers i think. Was this making her pissed? Yes. Could all the customers tell? Yes! Was she turning in the Mr Hyde? keep reading...

After taking orders i would turn around to bag the sandwiches, and had to see the grumpy face muttering curse words to herself trying to ruin my content and pleasant mood.

The orders kept getting longer and more complex as the night progressed to add to the hustle and bustle... and they were non stop! "no pickles add onions no caviar add shrimp baby back ribs on the side wtf?? I contemplated ways of cheering manager up. Ways to alleviate the pain. Nothing came to mind though.

The room was now silent and I glanced at the customers, watching them all stare at manager in disbelief. I had to do something. It was the moment of change. I had to do something! So, facing the manager, while bagging a double cheeseburger with extra mayo, i began whistling a tune. Not just any tune. A tune with holiday cheer. I started off slowly in a McDonalds room of utter silence (which is odd since there were about 15 people in the room). I began whistling the "First Noel"

Manager cocked her head up towards my direction slowly, dropping her ketchup bottle along with her jaw and just stared for a few seconds while i continued whistling....Did she want to kill me?

No, she started busting out laughing! The tension disappeared like a magic trick and the once nerve racking room was soon filled with life again thanks to a joyous christmas carol.

*Moral of the Story: "you know happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light."

No comments:

Post a Comment